Jan 25, 2013

Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette

Urban Decay's first all matte eye shadow palette is here! If you are a fan of neutrals and matte eyeshadow, then you might want to take a look at Urban Decay's newest eyeshadow palette, the Naked Basics. I was thrilled when I first saw pictures surfacing on the internet, but now that I have actually used it, I'm having second thoughts. 

From what I understand, this palette was created to make up for the lack of matte shadows in the other Naked palettes. However, I feel that the Naked Basics isn't unique from the matte shadows already featured in the Naked and Naked 2. 

There are six shadows featured in this palette: Venus, Foxy, Walk of Shame, Naked 2, Faint, and Crave. Venus is white with a satin finish, and is very similar to Bootycall from the Naked 2 palette. Foxy is a yellow cream matte, and is also featured in the Naked 2 palette. Walk of Shame is a pinky toned matte, and was featured in the Build Your Own Palette. Naked 2 is a cool dusty brown, and my favorite shade of the group. Faint is a matte warm chocolate brown. Crave is a deep matte black, that is similar Blackout from the Naked 2 Palette.


Swatches from left to right: Venus, Foxy, Walk of Shame, Naked 2, Faint, and Crave.

Pigmentation: Urban Decay shadows have always delivered excellent pigmentation. In this palette, all shades were true to pan and were opaque. 
Finish/Texture: I was a bit disappointed that Venus was more of a satin finish than a matte. This palette was advertised by Urban Decay as an all matte palette, so that is what I expected. Plus, foxy is a bit too yellow for my complexion and a white matte shadow would've been perfect for me. The texture of each shadow was creamy and smooth, as most Urban Decay shadows are. They are soft and buttery, that is my favorite quality of UD shadows!
Lasting Power: I usually get all day wear with UD shadows, about 8-9 hours until fading (without primer). I always wear a primer under my eyeshadow, so lasting power isn't too important to me. Urban Decay Primer Potion was actually the first primer I started using.
Shade Selection: I honestly thought that this palette could have been more unique. There are two shades that are complete repeats! Venus, Faint, and Crave are easily dupable. Naked 2 was the only shade that I thought was interesting. 
Price/Availability: I paid $30 with tax at Ulta.

Likes:

  • I like the concept of having an all matte palette
  • The packaging is durable
  • Shadows are great quality
  • Neutral shades are good for everyday

Dislikes:

  • Venus isn't a matte shadow (more like a satin)
  • The shade selection isn't very unique
  • There are two repeated shades (W.O.S. and Foxy)
  • I would've liked to see a full range palette (12 shades instead of 6) 

Overall:
I feel like the Naked Basics could have been better. Honestly, if you already own the Naked and Naked 2 palettes, you aren't going to see much variety here. The purpose of this palette was to make up for the lack of matte shades in the previous palettes, so I don't understand why Urban Decay would repeat shades. If the range of shades were completely different from the other naked palettes, I would have enjoyed this palette more. The quality of shadows is great, there is nothing wrong with them, it's just that I felt bored with this palette. I am a total neutral shadow girl, but the Naked Basics didn't have much to offer since the shades are so similar (some even repeated) to the previous naked palettes. The Naked Basics is very basic indeed, but if you are  new to Urban Decay, or just want to build up your neutral collection, you might want to give this a closer look. 

8 comments:

  1. This palette is seriously amazing. I think Urban Decay has the best palettes ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have gone to by this so many times since it was released but I talk myself out of it. I'm still on the fence about it. Inputs a lot of Money. I think I will look and see if someone has done a good dupe post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that's how I felt about it too. There are so many dupes for these shades, that's actually a really great post idea! I'm sure there are a few out there by now.

      :)

      Delete
  3. the colours are really pretty! but for $30, i wouldnt get it, i think the shades are somewhat too similar : /

    im following you now! xoxo
    http://thechiffonbunny.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there I just wanted to quickly say I just found your blog through your IMATs post and I'm already hooked! I love your blog and am insanely jealous of all the lovely american products!

    Also fantastic review on the palette it made me want it but question wanting it haha:P Looking forward to reading more~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great swatches!! Thanks for the review!

    http://www.beauty-twist.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I appreciate and read each one. I will try to respond to any questions asap. Thank you! ♥

Please refrain from leaving spam- giveaway promos, follow for follow, hey check out my blog, etc, it will be deleted.

But feel free to leave your blog link so that others may see it ♥