Mar 8, 2013

Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer

There are countless concealer formulas to choose from at the drugstore. Sometimes it's overwhelming knowing which one is going to work for your skin. I usually go for liquid-type products, they tend to make the lightest shades. I decided to give Maybelline's new Dream Lumi Touch a try since it claims to highlight, conceal, and brighten all in one.  


What intrigued me most about Dream Lumi was the twist-pen packaging, it's something different for a drugstore concealer. I've never seen one quite like this at the drugstore.


My main problem with this concealer is that it's way too warm and salmony to match my cool skin tone (it looked even darker on my face). Unfortunately, this was the lightest shade available. 

Claims: "Gel based concealer illuminates shadows as it conceals. Skin looks instantly brighter."
Coverage: The coverage was barely there. This product couldn't cover dark circles or discoloration. 
Finish/Texture: The finish wasn't illuminating for me, nor did it manage to conceal. I didn't enjoy the slippery texture the formula had. It caused building coverage to be a bit difficult.
Formula: This gel formula just didn't cover anything. It felt too thin and watery on my skin.
Lasting Power: I didn't have the opportunity to test lasting power since the shade was off.
Scent: There is no scent.
Price/Availability: I paid $6.50 at Target

Likes:
  • Convenient packaging
Dislikes:
  • Shade is too dark
  • No coverage
  • Thin, slippery consistency
  • Doesn't layer well
Overall:
This concealer just didn't work for me. The gel formula felt runny and slippery on my skin. It failed to provide coverage or brightness of any kind. The problem is that the watery consistency doesn't layer very well, causing a mess. This was the lightest shade available, and it was way too dark. The twist up packaging with the brush tip is convenient, but that's the only thing I enjoyed about this product.

Hopefully next time I branch out from my usual concealer it will work out for me!

7 comments:

  1. The color of this concealer don´t work to me is light a soft peach. I don´t know if I try with ths product. many thanks for the review.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a shame its too dark for you & has little coverage. defeats the object of it being a concealer. I wont be picking this up. Great honest review
    http://www.letstalkbeauty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as colour goes, I would recommend the L'oreal Magic Lumi (rose gold/gold packaging)concealer. It's the same idea, and it has lighter colours. The coverage still isn't great, but it's awesome for putting over a concealer or corrector to help brighten the under eye area. Personally I find it's enough coverage for those au natural days, where I don't feel I need much, but still want something. I haven't used the YSL Touche Eclat thing(...)but I took notes on how to use the L'oreal on how to use the YSL because it's the same idea, and L'ordeal owns YSL. (man this comment got long) I originally went in to buy the Maybelline dream lumi and mistakenly bough the L'oreal (saw the magic lumi name and thought I must have confused the brands) and I honestly really love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I will have to give that one a try sometime. I did see it at the store, but I went for Maybelline since it's so much less. Maybe the few extra bucks makes a big difference. I really didn't think there was going to be much coverage in something that is supposed to also highlight, but this Maybelline one really did neither! I've never tried the Touche Eclat either, it's so expensive! Now I really want to try the L'oreal one :) Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  4. Hollie, I think there is a lighter more yellow shade. Maybe it would work for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I appreciate and read each one. I will try to respond to any questions asap. Thank you! ♥

Please refrain from leaving spam- giveaway promos, follow for follow, hey check out my blog, etc, it will be deleted.

But feel free to leave your blog link so that others may see it ♥